The United Arab Emirates has information that Tunisian women or women traveling on Tunisian passports might commit “terrorist acts” in the Gulf country, Tunisia’s state news agency TAP said.
Tunisia late on Sunday suspended flights from Dubai carrier Emirates to Tunis, with officials saying the airline was refusing to carry female Tunisian travelers.
Emirates has given no reason for not allowing female Tunisians to board its flights since Friday.
A spokesman for Tunisia’s presidency did not elaborate on the security threat in a brief TAP article.
Emirates had stopped its Dubai-Tunis connection on Monday.
READ MORE
How Africa's green energy boom is stalled by ageing power grids
KNCCI opens office in Dubai to curb export losses
Built to last: How to design cities that serve generations the Abu Dhabi way
DPP secures conviction of wardens over 2021 Kamiti prisoners escape
In Tunisia, anger has been building after women said they had been banned at Tunis airport from boarding Emirates flights to Dubai.
Tunisian civil organizations and political parties called on the government to respond. Foreign Minister Khemais Jhianoui told a local radio station the UAE should apologize for the travel ban, which he said its authorities had not informed Tunisia about.