Kitui, Kenya : A family in Kitui County is divided over whether or not to exhume a body they buried by mistake, believing it was their relative three years ago.
Family members disagreed over whether the 'spirits' of the stranger's body buried in their Kanyaa village homestead in Migwani in Mwingi West constituency, in 2011, should be disturbed. They mistakenly thought the body belonged to 86-year-old Julius Kitheka Mbiti.
The man who had been presumed dead returned home last month. Local chief Tumbo Kasonge told The Standard yesterday that efforts to reach a consensus on the matter had been frustrated by divergent views from family members. Mr Kasonge said another meeting would be held on Monday.
READ MORE
Orengo protests withdrawal of security detail
Rights groups threaten strike over rising femicide cases
Family of late gospel artiste demands answers
Legal battle over appointment of ex-M-cheza CEO to gambling authority