Since 1902

High Court dismisses appeal for three men facing death sentence

By Renson Mnyamwezi - Aug 8th 2022
Nine witnesses testified in support of the case. [iStockphoto]

A 12-year push by three robbery with violence convicts to have a death sentence imposed on them quashed failed to bear fruits.

This is after a High Court in Bomet last week dismissed their appeals and confirmed a decision by a magistrate’s court delivered in 2010.

Isaac Kipngetich alias Karedio, Wesley Kipngeno Koech and Ezekiel Ombaso were among four others charged before Principal Magistrate’s Court in Bomet on January 5, 2010.

They were accused that on November 22-23, 2009, they attacked and robbed Alfred Longei of his laptop, three mobile phones and a wallet all valued at Sh74,000.

Nine witnesses testified in support of the case and at the end of the prosecution case, they were charged. 

Dissatisfied, they appealed the judgment in Kericho High Court and the trial court decision was upheld by a two-judge bench on October 25, 2013.

They further appealed to the Court of Appeal in Nyeri, which directed that the matter be remitted back to the High Court for rehearing.

Hearing the case, Justice Roseline Lagat Korir noted that the three were clearly linked to the robbery and were guilty as charged.

“In conclusion, having carefully reviewed the evidence on record, there is nothing that suggests that the magistrate erred in convicting the appellants,” read the judgment.

Share this story
Kajiado clerics call for peace as voters troop to polling stations
The clergy urged Kenyans to vote wisely and to ignore politicians who seek to divide them for selfish gain.
Trump says FBI have raided his Florida home
“After working and cooperating with the relevant Government agencies, this unannounced raid on my home was not necessary or appropriate,” Trump said.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS