Nurses have finally called off their strike following a court order issued on Monday.
Kenya National Union of Nurses (Knun) General Secretary Seth Panyako (pictured) said while the strike had been called off, the union would still pursue the demands they had raised.
“The union will in the meantime push for our issues through the court and conciliatory process,” said Panyako.
The nurses had been on strike since December 7, 2020.
READ MORE
Court suspends nurses' election following petition
Perennial strikes expose chronic failures in the healthcare sector
Court acquits four nurses over 2015 murder of cancer patient at KNH
The nurses wanted their risk allowances enhanced to match those of doctors. They also wanted personal protective equipment provided to handle Covid-19.
While some counties negotiated a return-to-work formula which resulted in suspension of the strike, 10 counties had not yet reached an agreement with nurses as at yesterday.
The move by the union to call off the strike means nurses in those counties will return to work.
The 10 affected counties are Nakuru, Migori, Trans Nzoia, Taita Taveta, Kilifi, Kisumu, Busia, Lamu, Vihiga, and Kisii.
The decision to call off the strike comes a day after clinical officers also suspended theirs following the same court order.