Cristiano Ronaldo hints at retirement after current season [Courtesy]

Football star Cristiano Ronaldo has given his strongest indication yet that he could retire at the end of the current season, describing it as “probably my last year” in football.

Speaking to Vogue, the 41-year-old forward, who is contracted to Saudi Arabian club Al Nassr until 2027, said he wants to end his career by leaving a lasting legacy.

“This is probably my last year of football, and I want to leave a spectacular legacy,” Ronaldo said.

The five-time Ballon d’Or winner, who has also played for Sporting CP, Manchester United, Real Madrid and Juventus, joined Al Nassr in 2023.

Cristiano Ronaldo has opened up on his future and life after football after marrying long-term partner Georgina Rodriguez ❤️ pic.twitter.com/m5Oh6cOAp8

— Match of the Day (@BBCMOTD) August 16, 2026

Ronaldo said he is already planning for life after football, with family, travel and padel among the activities he hopes to pursue.

“I have my future all mapped out,” he said.

The father of five acknowledged that retirement could leave a significant gap in his life after 25 years of professional football.

“Because football could leave a big hole, you have to fill your time in various ways, not just one,” he said, adding that he wants to travel more, play padel and enjoy what he has earned.

His comments come shortly after he married his long-time partner, Georgina Rodríguez, in an intimate ceremony at their home in Portugal. The couple shared details of the wedding in a Vogue feature published Sunday.

Ronaldo had previously indicated that the 2026 World Cup would be his final tournament with Portugal.

His latest comments also come as he approaches the end of a 25-year career that has seen him win five Ballon d’Or awards and score more than 950 goals for club and country.