Kennedy Kaunda says he fears for his life after fuel strike confrontation

Kennedy Kaunda, chairperson of the East Africa Tour Guides and Drivers Association, says he fears for his life following his public remarks on the suspension of a transport strike over hiked fuel prices.

Speaking in an interview on Spice FM, Kaunda claimed he was trailed by three people on a motorbike while walking home, who confronted him and issued a warning saying, “We mzee, tumekuona.”

The alleged incident came days after he gained public attention for challenging Energy Cabinet Secretary Opiyo Wandayi and Transport CS Davis Chirchir during a press conference on Monday, May 18, where he disputed claims that stakeholders had agreed to call off the strike.

As Wandayi concluded his remarks, suggesting an agreement had been reached, Kaunda interrupted the briefing, insisting no deal had been finalised.

“With all due respect, we did say that we are going to communicate here clearly and openly that we have not agreed so that we carry this conversation forward,” he said. “We didn’t agree, they gave us Sh10, and we did state Sh35 up to Sh30. That was the communication. The strike is still on.”

Kaunda said the backlash, including claims of bribery, has also affected his family, adding that his son, a university student, has been questioned about alleged payments, which he denies.

“I have not received any envelope and am not ready to receive one. My conscience is clear,” he said.

He further maintained that he is not satisfied with the latest fuel price adjustments announced by the Energy and Petroleum Regulatory Authority (EPRA) for the mid-May to mid-June 2026 cycle.

Under the review, diesel prices were reduced by Sh10.06 per litre, kerosene increased by Sh38.60 per litre, while petrol prices remained unchanged, according to the Energy and Petroleum Regulatory Authority (EPRA).