Recently, Wasafi Classic Baby, a Tanzania-based record label founded by Tanzanian musician Diamond Platnumz, has been on the receiving end from various artists who claim that the record label has been exploiting its signees.
Last year, Harmonize, who was a signee under Wasafi, came forward with allegations that the termination of his contract was a big hustle, despite paying an exit fee of Tsh600 million.
Months later, Diamond has come out to defend his record label. In a recent interview, the Yope hitmaker confessed that he heard the allegations through the media but never bothered to follow up because everyone has the right to express themselves.
“I did not bother to follow up. You can't stop someone from saying what they want to say,” he said in part.
Diamond argued that Wasafi is one of the best-managed record labels because being an artiste, he fully understands what his fellow musicians go through.
“Wasafi does not have systems or contracts that aim to demean or exploit anyone. I always tell artists, if you travel the world, you will find out that Wasafi label actually favors its signees. This is because it is managed and was founded by an artist,” he added.
- Harmonize's tumultuous love life
- Diamond’s baby mama’s Tanasha and Mobetto meet up
- Mystery black diamond called 'The Enigma' goes up for auction
- Zuchu addresses talk about getting married to Diamond
Diamond also dismissed rumors that elements of favoritism exist within his label.
“There’s no favoritism but respect, if a signee is doing well then the label also performs well,” he said.
Asked how he felt about the allegations, the father of four confessed that it used to get under his skin but now he is used to it because they are not founded on any truths.
“If someone speaks badly of me, of course, in the past I was very hurt, but now I just ignore it. Nowadays I see it as a blessing because when they accuse me of things that I have not done, God continues to bless me more and more,” he said.View this post on Instagram
Last year, Harmonize alleged that his troubles at the label began when he started doing music tours and releasing widely successful collaborations with continental acts.
“I was signed into a 10-year contract at WCB. Any money I earned within the contract, Diamond would take 60%, leaving me with 40%. I would have to add my own money to my share in order to push my music,” he alleged.