|
|
| CORD leaders led by former Prime Minister Raila Odinga (centre) and Bungoma Senator Moses Wetangula (right) prepare to address the Press in Nairobi, Sunday. [PHOTO: EVANS HABIL/STANDARD] |
By GEOFFREY MOSOKU and JAMES MBAKA
KENYA: The Coalition for Reform and Democracy leaders have sent a message of hope and comfort to all families of the victims of Saturday’s attack on Westgate Mall in Westlands.
Led by former Prime Minister Raila Odinga and Bungoma Senator Moses Wetangula, the leaders condemned the attack, terming it cowardly, coming 16 years after the infamous 1998 terrorism attack at the US embassy in Nairobi.
“This is a very tragic moment in the history of Kenya. We condemn this act of desperation and we know the attackers will not break the spirit of Kenyans,” Raila said.
The CORD leader said at that this trying moment, the country’s leadership will be united in fighting the common enemy that has struck national interests. “We want to assure the Government that we will work together to help in addressing insecurity across the country,” he added.
READ MORE
AI-driven cyber threats rise amid global skills shortage
Ol Kalou offers Gachagua, Kuria a new battle ring
Cowardly enemies
The CORD leader also called for calm and unity of purpose as relatives and friends mourn those who were killed, among them the president’s nephew.
Former Vice-President Kalonzo Musyoka, who is in Sri Lanka leading the Commonwealth election observer mission, also sent his condolence message. “I urge all Kenyans to remain united and stand firm against such a horrible attack by cowardly enemies of Kenyans. My condolence to all families who lost loved ones and quick recovery to the injured,” Kalonzo said in a statement.
Addressing journalists near Westgate, Raila expressed confidence that the country’s security forces were in control of the situation. “Let’s not create a panic; our security forces are equal to the task and we all should support them.”
No politics
Wetang’ula said it was unfortunate the gang had, on their heinous mission, targeted the mall, which is frequented by many foreigners.
Somalia’s Al-Qaeda-linked militia, Al-Shabaab, claimed responsibility for the attack on Twitter. They claimed to have killed over 100 people.
UDF leader Musalia Mudavadi, who also sent his condolence message to bereaved families, condemned the attack, terming it an act of cowardice. Musalia also called for a shake-up of security agencies in the country to instill discipline and alertness.
Meanwhile, CORD leaders have urged the international community to stand by Kenya and desist from issuing travel advisories against the country. They warned that such a move would hurt the country’s economy.
“This is an isolated incident and we appeal to foreign countries not to bar their citizens from touring Kenya whose economy depends on tourism,” said Raila. He said Kenya was not the only country facing terrorism attacks. “Terrorists are all over the world and there is no need whatsoever for countries to issue travel advisories because of this isolated incident.”
The former PM revealed that he had already talked to President Uhuru and agreed on a non-partisan approach to the matter; saying now was not the time to engage in politics.