A section of youthful entrepreneurs in Kisumu have called on the region's political leadership to give dialogue a chance and hasten amicable proceeds to solutions for the IEBC opposition and government stance.
The Kenya Entrepreneurs' and Innovators Forum (KENIF) have accused the opposition leadership of misuse of follower loyalty in the Nyanza Region.
KENIF chairman Philip Ulo has said Kisumu has been known for political unrest, intolerance and riots that have caused a stiff up-heal struggle in the economic cycle for the region.
The youthful entrepreneurs have said many families in the county depend on small and micro enterprise, a fragile segment adversely affected by routine political disturbances.
"Most families are dependents of micro enterprise day to day business income that has now been on a trail, wasteful political engagements that subject many to losses." said Mr Ulo.
The business leaders said the political class had not identified or support economically viable ventures for youths and were rather engaging them in calamitous political tussles that could be avoided by constructive constitutional engagements.
"We wonder why we should run in the streets with our elected leaders yet we bestowed upon them the responsibility of enacting laws and other administrative systems that can prevent anarchy. The government and the opposition should now give us a break on this matter so that we engage in business as usual. It is unfortunate that business days have been reduced to two given that we are expecting a standstill on Monday and Thursday." said Ulo.
This is despite Coalition for Reforms and Democracy (Cord) having announced that it will resume its weekly anti-IEBC as planned.
Cord Secretariat Chief Executive Officer Norman Mgaya said unless there is an intervention, the opposition will hold protests on Monday and Thursday every week.
Mr Ulo has urged the youth and national leadership to be of goodwill and avoid acts of lawlessness and sentiments threatening national peace and stability.
KENIF secretary general, Mr Micah Magajia said, “We urge all political leaders and their supporters that pursuit of IEBC removal should not tear the social economic well-being of the country.”
CORD leader Raila Odinga on Saturday told his supporters in Nakuru that the opposition will continue with anti-IEBC demonstrations until the Jubilee government heeds to their demands.
Mr Odinga warned the police against arresting those demonstrating saying there will be dire consequences.
The calm at infancy in Kisumu town after Monday’s chaotic anti-IEBC protests is dwindling. More than ten victims of the bloody protests were admitted in various hospitals in the town with gunshot wounds. Last week's fifth protests paralyzed business in the entire town as traders closed down for fear of being looted; most business operators resumed their daily work with the hope to recover from what was lost.
This comes even as the business community in the lake side town yesterdsay at Aga Khan hall continued counting losses they incurred due to the protests.
Supermarkets in the town including Tumaini in Kondele and Naivas in the CBD bore losses as demonstrators stoned and broke the windows of their business premises.
Tumaini supermarket is now under renovation that would give it a new looking. A stone is being built to replace the broken glass section on the premise building.
Governor Jack Ranguma has however, assured the business community that their business will remain safe within the county.
Ranguma said he will consult political leaders and civil society to ensure protests do not result in the damage of property and will not unduly interfere with private business.
“I will convene a meeting involving representatives of the business community, the informal sector, local political leaders, the civil society and the security agencies to deal with the concerns of the business community, the informal sector and other members of the community, even as we continue pressing hard for the reform of the IEBC," he said.
Jaramogi Referal Hospital Board chairman, George Mac'Odewa revealed that the facility was straining the large debt incurred on medical care to victims injured in every Monday protests led by the CORD coalition.
The official said the demonstrations had become a huge burden for the hospital as millions of shillings had been spent. Governor Jack Ranguma in a visit to injured demonstrators recuperating at the facility pledged that the county government was to offset the medical bills.
Victims of the previous five demonstrations were treated at the facility free of charge yet the county government has not fulfilled its promise.
Mr Mac'Odawa said a single operation costed the facility at least Sh 100,000 and at least six surgeries were conducted last week with other treatments.