Campus student starts initiative to donate shoes to needy students in Machakos
By Stephen Mburu | January 25th 2022 | 1 min read
A finalist student at KCA University is not your average college student.
Jackeline Mueni is the student running an initiative through which they donate shoes to shoeless pupils in Machakos County.
She says the idea was inspired by her experience back in primary school.
“When I was in primary school, I could see my peers sent home due to lack of shoes. It wasn’t their wish but the parents couldn’t afford it,” the Bachelor’s degree in Commerce student said.
The initiative brings together 17 volunteers who help in the scouting for those in need of shoes as well as distribution.
Before the end of this year, she intends to give out shoes in seven schools in the county.
The group sources funds and shoes through social media platforms where they reach out and ask for help from well-wishers.
The project that started last year has seen her visit Kyanzasu Primary School as well as Adasa Children’s Home.
Mueni has called on her peers to embrace such initiatives in the communities they come from.
“Don’t just wish for things to happen, focus and take action and control of what is happening around you. Take responsibility for what you are going to get out of your life,” she says.
Two caught on CCTV dumping seven cats outside KSPCA office
- Allow comrades to intermarry, NCIC boss tells varsity parents
- Homa Bay women leaders fight 'jealousy' tag
By James Omoro
- You can learn a lot by reading your own medical records
- Why banks can no longer sell your property for song
By Harold Ayodo
- 'Kujipanga' will make your latter years smoother
- End of the road for iconic hotels that shaped growth of the city
- To be successful, you must have discipline
- Peter Macharia Kinyanjui- First Kikuyu Catholic bishop to get married
- Nyokabi: Jubilee betrayed me, I'll run for Kiambu governor independently