The immediate former FKF Deputy President, MacDonald Mariga is now tasked with leading the federation as acting president of the Football Kenya Federation (FKF), following the suspension of FKF boss Hussein Mohammed, over an alleged Sh42 million financial scandal, prompting an abrupt leadership change.
This leadership transition follows a resolution by the FKF National Executive Committee (NEC) directing the elected President, Hussein Rashid Mohammed, to step aside alongside other senior officials to pave the way for investigations into alleged financial mismanagement tied to CHAN (African Nations Championship) preparations.
With immediate effect, Mariga former Harambee Stars midfield enforcer has assumed office as acting president, thrust into a high-pressure role at a critical moment for Kenyan football until investigations are complete.
The former international, who enjoyed a decorated playing career in Europe, now faces a different kind of challenge restoring confidence in an institution rocked by allegations of financial impropriety, procurement irregularities, and possible misuse of federation funds.
According to insiders within the federation, the suspension is part of a broader push to enhance accountability and transparency within FKF. The committee has also called for a forensic audit of the federation’s finances, with some accounts reportedly frozen pending the outcome of investigations.
Mismanagement in FKF is a problem that has been there for a while now, Nick Mwendwa is the other notable Football Kenya Federation (FKF) president who was previously involved in suspension and stepping-aside scenarios due to allegations of financial impropriety.
Mariga’s immediate task will be to steady the ship ensuring that day-to-day football operations continue uninterrupted while cooperating fully with investigative processes. His leadership will be closely scrutinized, not only by stakeholders within the sport but also by fans who have long called for reforms in Kenyan football administration.
However, the embattled Football Kenya Federation (FKF) President Hussein Mohammed has dismissed the National Executive Committee (NEC) meeting that suspended him, terming it unlawful and unconstitutional.
Hussein Mohamed, who didn't take questions from the press and was in an unusual low mood, insists he's the FKF president and that the meeting on Friday to suspend him and install Mariga as the acting president was illegal. pic.twitter.com/Twpz0EBcF7
— Eric Njiru ⚽️ (@EricNjiiru) April 25, 2026
In a statement issued on Friday, April 24, hours after his suspension, Mohammed said the meeting was not convened in line with the FKF Constitution. Therefore, any decisions arising from it were invalid.
“The purported meeting was not convened in accordance with the FKF Constitution (2017) and is therefore irregular, unlawful and unconstitutional. Consequently, any decisions arising from it are null and void,” he said.