Fire engulfs shopping complex in Nairobi CBD on Tuesday, February 1. [Courtesy]

Property worth millions of shillings has been destroyed in an early morning fire at Sunbeam Shopping Complex along Mfangano Street in Nairobi Central Business District.

The inferno, which engulfed the second and third floor of the building, started at around 6: 30a.m on Tuesday.

Fire fighters from the Nairobi Metropolitan Services (NMS) and the St John’s Ambulance responded quickly and managed to put out the fire.

Authorities suspect the fire could have been caused by a faulty electrical outlet.

"No injuries or casualties were reported," a representative from St Johns ambulance, told the Standard.


Fire engulfs shopping complex in Nairobi CBD on February 1 [Courtesy]

The incident comes days after the National Disaster Management Unit (NDMU) and the Nairobi City County Fire Department urged property owners to conduct regular safety drills.

The two institutions underscored the importance of undertaking at least one fire and safety drill annually to test preparedness. 

“When we do these drills, we promote awareness to the occupants, members of the public, and even the responders," NDMU Chief Administration Officer Cyrus Maina said.

Maina added the drills were important to check whether the systems and mechanism are working.


Fire engulfs shopping complex in Nairobi CBD on February 1. [Courtesy]