It was supposed to be a routine press briefing, but a highly awaited one.
Perhaps it would be one where statements would be read to the media in polished English, and all stakeholders would then give their views on how they agreed.
But not in this new age of fearless Kenya.
Energy Cabinet Secretary Opiyo Wandayi was left with egg on his face during a joint press conference on the recent fuel price hikes alongside his Transport counterpart Davis Chirchir.
Wrapping up what appeared to be an agreement speech, the CS had just finished speaking when one of the stakeholders demanded the floor.
The stakeholder dismissed the CS for purporting that a consensus had been reached on the ongoing matatu strike.
.Keep Reading
When you hear someone say “with all due respect” just know no respect shall be given. ? pic.twitter.com/ojX4Eb7A9n
— Bane (@MisterAlbie) May 18, 2026
"With all due respect, we did say that we are going to communicate here clearly and openly that we have not agreed so that we carry this conversation forward," he said. "We didn't agree, they gave us Sh10 and we did state Sh35 up to Sh30. That was the communication, with all due respect, we respect each one of us and that is what we want to go out. The strike is still on."
The man who publicly challenged the Cabinet Secretary is Kennedy Kaunda, the CEO of the Tourist Guides Association.
Questioned during a TV interview on whether he was aware that he was trending, Kaunda said he was completely unprepared for the attention.
"With all due respect, I didn't see this coming," he said.
On what drove him to speak out, Kaunda said he was shocked by the statement that an agreement had been reached.
"We had a conversation with all stakeholders of the transport center. The clarion call was that we postpone and go back to consult. Thereafter, they said they need to go back. The offer they had given us we had not agreed. So we agreed to call the media and issue a statement," Kaunda said.
"When Wandayi and Chirchir came into the boardroom, I was taken by surprise when he declared that we had reached an agreement, and that is why my conscience led me to talk to the nation, that has been affected by the increment," he added.
Kaunda has since become an online sensation, with many turning his expression into internet memes and caricatures captioned with the catchphrase, "With all due respect."
On X, formerly Twitter, users hailed him for openly refusing to fall in line with the government's stance.
"This is exactly the kind of courage Kenya needs. Speak the truth publicly. Don’t let leaders rewrite reality while cameras are rolling," wrote one user named Sholard.
"The way he stepped forward. He refused to be used for a photo opp. Presence is not submission... wacha niongee," wrote another user, Ty Ngachira.