DCI headquarters. [Boniface Okendo, Standard]

Police are probing another two National Transport and Safety Authority (NTSA) employees and a Kenya Revenue Authority (KRA) official suspected to have hacked into the number plate registration system.

In an application filed before the Kahawa Magistrate Court against 10 persons who were arrested earlier, police say believe the two are part of the cartel that infiltrated the NTSA Transport Integrated Management System (Tims) to engage in the illegal number plates registration leading to tax evasion.

Inspector of Police Moses Adeli told Kahawa Senior Principal Magistrate Boaz Ombewa that the Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI) is probing offences relating to computer misuse.

Adeli also said police are probing the persons for engaging in an organised criminal activity, forgery and failure to pay taxes payable to KRA.

Those who were arraigned in court are Jimmy Wayans alias Kibet Wayans alias Jimmy Kibet Chepkwony, Dennis Wafula Simiyu alias Dennoh, Julias Kiprop Mchiri and Antony Kariuki Muchira.

Others are Anthony Waithaka Mumu, David Kimaren Tananko, Dennis Muriuki Migwi, Boniface Maina Njoroge, Enos Mudaki Baranga and Marvin Saihi Limisi.

The court heard that the nine were arrested on September 29 in different parts of the country, including NTSA offices and KRA headquarters in Nairobi.

Through the Director of Public Prosecution, the officer also asked the court to allow DCI to forensically examine gadgets that were retrieved from the 10 suspects.

He stated that the team probing the issue is yet to obtain Call Data Records (CDR), sim card subscriber details, line history and other critical information regarding how they gained illegal access to NTSA's ICT system.

"The activities of the respondents and their associates pose a great risk to the National Security and the entire economic well-being of the country," claimed Adeli.

The magistrate released the 10 suspects on Sh100,000 cash bail. He directed that they should report to the DCI twice a week.

He gave police until November 10, when the case will be mentioned, to conclude their probe.