Seven feared dead after machine crumbles at construction site in Kilimani
NAIROBI | By Betty Njeru | August 26th 2021
At least seven people are feared dead after a lifting machine tumbled down at a construction site in Kilimani, Nairobi.
Regional police boss Augustine Nthumbi confirmed the Thursday afternoon incident, saying rescue operations at the building site, which is located opposite Silver Springs Hotel, was underway.
Kilimani DCIO Stephen Ole Tanki confirmed that fatalities were registered, though declined to reveal the exact number.
“As you know we’re still in the search and rescue process, and, therefore, it’s not easy to tell conclusively how many people have died or how many are injured in the incident,” said Tanki on phone.
As of the time of publication, ambulances, police and first-aid teams had arrived at the scene.
“The lifting machine disintegrated, throwing out site workers who were in it. The crane, thereafter, thudded against the ground, trapping several people,” an eye witness told The Standard.
Kongowea traders want Ruto's Sh2 million donation probed
By Patrick Beja
- Governor Waiguru joins UDA
By Betty Njeru
- Mau Mau Road construction triggers property value rise
- Supreme Court stops Kananu swearing-in as Nairobi governor
By Paul Ogemba
- Man Utd-Liverpool match protests lead to 14 arrests, closure of school
By Moses Baya
- Rise in human bird flu cases in China shows risk of fast-changing variants: experts