Keep off private ranches
EDITORIAL | By Editorial | July 30th 2021
Interior Cabinet Secretary Fred Matiang’i has issued a seven-day ultimatum to herders occupying ranches in Laikipia County illegally to leave.
Dr Matiang’i has warned that failure to voluntarily leave will compel the government to conduct an operation to flush out the invaders.
The warning came amid complaints over pastoralists’ invasion of the ranches.
Respect for private property cannot be overemphasised. Marauding herders have no right to intrude on the ranches, except with express permission of the owners.
Matiang’i accuses some politicians of fuelling the conflict and the resultant insecurity that has plagued the area for decades. He must ensure that the illegal herders are evicted and those who incite them to trespass and cause havoc are arrested.
Locals want livestock allowed to graze in ADC farm linked to Ruto
- Raila’s grand march to State House begins
- Roads closed for Nairobi Expressway construction reopen from September 30
- Puzzle of dairy cows killed for udders and reproductive parts
- You have no right to complain about high fuel prices, Speaker tells MPs
- Willie Kimani murder: Four police officers have case to answer
By Sara Okuoro