Nairobi, Kenya: Nairobi Governor Evans Kidero has raised a cholera alert in informal settlements of the county.
Consequently, the county boss has banned food hawking and warned those culprits with arrest.
Many Kenyans, especially casual labourers, rely on food hawked in the city because of its low cost. Commonly hawked food is githeri, boiled and roasted maize.
Speaking to journalists in Nairobi on Monday, Dr Kidero said cases of cholera have been reported in Kibera, Kawangware and Mathare.
"We have had few cases of diarrhea in Mathare and Kibera. However, we have not established how many people were affected," he said.
READ MORE
How officials linked to Sh117m Kangunu loss formed new coffee society
Kidero acquittal: How DPP failed to prove Sh213 million graft charges
Court acquits ex-Nairobi Governor Kidero in Sh213m corruption case
Bomet County on high alert following cholera outbreak in Narok
Nairobi County Public Health Department last week reported the outbreak with almost 30 people from Kibera admitted to hospital. The authorities, however, claimed the situation had been contained.
Yesterday, Kidero said health workers in the capital were on high alert and asked residents to observe good hygiene and eat well cooked food.
"Nairobians should avoid eating raw food. Food hawking is also not allowed in the city. This will help contain the spread of cholera," he said.
He urged residents with prolonged diarrhoea to seek medical attention.
Cholera has also been reported in Nakuru where nine have died .