At least 347 goats and 50 camels were stolen on Saturday night after armed raiders attacked Nadome village in Tiaty Constituency.

Silale chief Peter Adomongura said the attackers stormed homes around 11pm and drove away the animals.

He said efforts to stop them proved futile as some of them were armed.

They also drove the animals in different directions making it hard for residents to pursue them.

Adomongura said some of the animals were driven towards Lomelo village in Turkana East.

"The attack caught villagers unawares. We were helpless, especially because the raiders were armed," the chief said.

He added: "We later trailed the attackers and from their footsteps, the animals were driven to Lomelo village in Turkana East."

Adomongura said tension is high in the area following the attack and called on the national government to help them trace and recover the animals.

The administrator also wants the suspects brought to book.

All the 50 camels belonged to one resident only identified as Losikar.

The chief said no one was killed or injured during the raid that has left the village in fear of further attacks.

Tiaty MP William Kamket condemned the raid and called on leaders to come together and fight cattle rustling and insecurity in the region.

"There has been peace in this area for a long time. It is therefore unfortunate that criminal elements from the neighbouring county have decided to attack our people. We call on security apparatus to bring these attacks to and end, help recover the stolen livestock and punish the raiders," he said.

Meanwhile, Kamket called on residents to stop engaging in retaliatory attacks and allow the police to handle the matter.

"I am calling on those affected by the attack to allow the security agencies handle the matter," the MP said.

Silale MCA Nelson Lotela also condemned the attack and called on the national government to address the problem of cattle rustling once and for all.

"To some of the residents, the animals are their only source of livelihood and their lifetime investment. Yet security officials are yet to respond even after the attack was reported to them," said Lotela.

He added: "I reported the matter to General Service Unit officers in Kapedo and Lomelo. We should not allow a few people who come here to steal from our people spoil the peace we have been enjoying. And the few cattle rustlers should not be allowed to create enmity between the Pokot and Turkana communities."

In October last year, three people were killed and over 700 head of cattle stolen in the same village.

Over 200 armed raiders allegedly raided the village and made away with the animals which are yet to be recovered to date.

The police were accused of failing to respond to residents' distress calls and did not pursue the raiders.

In 2015, at least 50 people were killed and 3,000 animals stolen in Nadome when over 400 raider attacked.

Turkana County Commissioner Seif Idd Matata said he was not aware of the raid. “I am not aware of the said raid. I have not heard about it,” said Matata.

His Baringo counterpart Henry Wafula did not comment saying Nadome is not in his area.

In November 2016, 14 people killed along the Turkana - Baringo border in yet another case of cattle rustling.