Bomet Governor Joyce Laboso told doctors she wanted to be discharged shortly before her death.
According to The Standard newspaper, Laboso requested to go home eight days ago, a move a section of her family was opposed to.
“I want to go rest at home,” told one of her doctors on July 21 from her hospital bed in the high dependency unit (HDU).
Two days earlier on July 19, the governor had been moved to the HDU from the Intensive Care Unit, where she requested to be allowed to ‘rest at home.’
However, a section of her family argued that she needed to remain in hospital.
READ MORE
Nairobi targets system gaps as late cancer diagnoses strain care capacity
MPs call for overhaul of cancer treatment access and funding
Africa urged to prioritise domestic health to tackle rising burden of NCDs
Ending cervical cancer: Why boys must get the HPV vaccine too
Consequently, on July 22, she was moved to the general VIP ward in the North Wing of the Nairobi Hospital. She remained there till her death.
28 years battling cancer
According to The Standard, Laboso was diagnosed with cancer in 1991 but she was in remission till recently, when her health deteriorated as the cancer had spread all over her body.
For the past two months, Laboso has been in hospitals in India and London before being taken to the Nairobi Hospital, where she died on Monday afternoon.