× Digital News Videos Health & Science Opinion Education Columnists Lifestyle Cartoons Moi Cabinets Kibaki Cabinets Arts & Culture Gender Podcasts E-Paper Tributes Lifestyle & Entertainment Nairobian Entertainment Eve Woman TV Stations KTN Home KTN News BTV KTN Farmers TV Radio Stations Radio Maisha Spice FM Vybez Radio Enterprise VAS E-Learning Digger Classified Jobs Games Crosswords Sudoku The Standard Group Corporate Contact Us Rate Card Vacancies DCX O.M Portal Corporate Email RMS
×
VAS

Woman, son die as medics snub work

 

Family members gather at Shadrack Bilinda's Matulo village home to plan burial arrangements for his wife and son who died on Tuesday at Lugulu Mission Hospital in Webuye. They add to the growing number of causalities of the ongoing nurses and clinical officers nationwide strike. [Willie Khaemba, Standard]

A woman and her son who could not get specialised treatment at a Bungoma health facility owing to a nationwide strike by medics have died.

The woman died at Lugulu Mission Hospital on Tuesday, hours before her son followed.

Shadrack Bilinda said his wife, Rose, and son, Martin, could not get specialised care at the Lugulu hospital. The two had been undergoing treatment at Webuye County Hospital until the strike started.

“I transferred them to Lugulu Mission Hospital due to the strike, but they died,” he said.

Earlier, Bungoma Governor Wycliffe Wangamati told striking healthcare workers that most of the grievances they raised could only be addressed by the national government.

In Kakamega, the striking healthcare workers defied Governor Wycliffe Oparanya’s appeal to resume duty.

Talks between the county administration and the medics collapsed mid-way.

Kenya National Union of Nurses, Kakamega branch secretary Renson Bulunya, said their demands were never addressed.

In Busia, the county government wants medics employed under Universal Health Care (UHC), laboratory technologists and doctors who are not on strike to report to work and provide medical services.

This is after a meeting between deputy governor Moses Mulomi and officials of various health workers' unions held on Tuesday at the Busia County Referral Hospital failed to break the deadlock.

The union officials remained adamant that they have no power to call off the ongoing strike since it was called by their national officials.

Share this story
Police in pursuit of suspects in Chandaria attack
The officers hope that the telephone records will help them unravel the puzzle of who planned and executed the robbery.
Diabetes: Insulin now an essential drug
Listing NCDs is a relief to Kenyans like 65-year-old Kahuho Mathai from Nyeri County, who was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and high blood pressure.

.
RECOMMENDED NEWS

;