Man prospecting gold in Kakamega buried alive
By - Bryan Tumwa
| July 9th 2013
By Bryan Tumwa
A 21- year old man was buried alive after a mineshaft collapsed on him on Monday night.
The incident occurred when three men in Shibuye location Kakamega decided to prospect for gold inside an abandoned mineshaft while the owner of the farm was asleep. Two of the men managed to climb out after the walls of the hole around them caved in but the third one was completely covered by the soil.
Residents woke up to discover the collapsed shaft and launched a rescue mission. They later retrieved the body of the deceased which had been left buried for hours after his accomplices took off.
Jekina Isiongo, one of the residents who witnessed the body being pulled out said the three had trespassed into the farm to try their luck at finding gold deposits.
“The man who was pulled out is not from around here and we suspect he had come to steal from the abandoned mine,” she said.
Kakamega East OCPD, Hellen Cherotich confirmed the incident saying the two suspects who fled the scene were being pursued.
“With public assistance, I am confident that we will apprehend the two suspects who are still at large. It is illegal to conduct mining activities without consent from the authorities which is why we will pursue them for arraignment in court,” she noted.
She said the body of the deceased was dug out at 3 a.m. in the morning and taken to Kakamega Provincial General Hospital mortuary.
Politician loses petition over lawyer’s certificateA petitioner challenging the election of a member of the Kisii County Assembly got a rude shock when his petition was struck out because his lawyer had not renewed his practicing certificate.
Why Kenyan boxers are winning medals once againThe BFK led by President Anthony ‘Jamal’ Ombok was elected into the office in 2019 and has since...
Form Two student begs for school fees in city streets
- 2,040 bullets recovered from car in Nairobi
- Human body parts dumped from speeding car in Nyamira
- Ex-Sports CS Wario guilty of misuse of Sh54m Rio Olympics funds
By Paul Ogemba
- 60,000 secondary school teachers to be trained on CBC
- Lupita among best-dressed celebrities at The Met Gala