University education must be reformed
By Ochieng Odongo | January 27th 2016
The tug of war between some universities and the Commission for University Education (CUE) serves as a pointer to the probability that our higher education needs urgent reforms and streamlining.
This will ensure that the institutions align themselves to meet their core mandates of training and releasing into the job market a quality labour force.
The commission is mandated by law to ensure all universities in the country meet the requisite requirements to offer various courses and should not only be driven by commercial interest.
As such it has an obligation to ensure that all universities comply with all requirements laid down so that the students do not get a raw deal.
It is therefore disheartening to see the ugly confrontation between universities which have been threatened with closure and CUE.
Six police officers arrested drinking in bar during curfew
- Education Ministry must resolve chaotic Form One selection and placement
By Clay Muganda
- Good news as government slashes secondary school fees
- Mt Kenya leaders reassure Raila on 2022
- I'm ready to face your coalition, DP Ruto now tells Uhuru and Raila
- Nairobi County loses Sh400m in parking fees after KRA take over