+ Post your Story

For Enquiries Chat with us on Whatsapp on 0712 538 802

News
Mum of teenager who went blind from only eating crisps and chocolate speaks out
By Mirror | Updated Sep 17, 2019 at 15:34 EAT
mum-of-teenager-who-went-blind-from-only-eating-crisps-and-chocolate-speaks-out
Photo
SUMMARY

Harvey's mum said he would sweat, cry and scream when offered anything other than his favourite foods.

She took him to a pediatrician but could not physically get him to take the medication they offered.

The mum of a teenager who went blind from only eating crisps and chocolate is blaming the National Health Service (NHS) in the UK.

Harvey Dyer, 18, who has had a diet of Quavers, Wotsits, chocolate and chips since he was two-years-old, lost the sight in his left eye.

Kerry James says she "could not have done any more" to help her son and insists that she is not a "bad mum".

The doting mother believes vitamin A injections could have saved Harvey's sight if they were given to him at an earlier age.

She explained how Harvey, who has been diagnosed with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) would be physically sick when offered other food.


(Courtesy ITV)

Speaking on This Morning, she said: "I've done everything. I know people say it's probably because I'm a bad mum and neglected him. I don't listen to any of that.

"I’ve fought for Harvey from the age of two and I'll continue fighting until he has that healthy balance of life.

"At the end of the day he's our priority and I couldn’t have done anymore."

For More of This and Other Stories Subscribe to the Standard Epaper

Harvey's mum said he would sweat, cry and scream when offered anything other than his favourite foods.

She took him to a pediatrician but could not physically get him to take the medication they offered.

Kerry revealed that medical professionals told Harvey that it was his responsibility to eat a more varied diet.

She explained: "Back in December when we were told it was down to nutrition, we think if they’d done the blood test then and realised the Vitamin A was so low they could have given him the Vitamin A injections then and he could see a lot more out of that right eye and we could have saved it a lot better.

"Now we’ve just got to wait and see."

"We were offered the milkshakes and things like that but at the time you weren’t able to take it at all. I think she said to him you’re getting older now you need to take responsibility and eat these foods."

Harvey added: "The comment that was made was if I was a teenage girl it would be completely different."

Urusula Philpot, dietician at Leeds Beckett University, said that Harvey should have been given appropriate vitamins and minerals in injectable form.

She argued Harvey and his family had an experience that "shouldn't have happened".

Do you have stories, videos or pictures you would like to share with the world?

Simply click on Post Your Story button placed at the top of the website


Do not miss out on the latest news. Join the UReport Telegram channel HERE.
This is a citizen journalism website. The views expressed here do not represent that of the Standard Group PLC. Read the terms and conditions
COMMENTS
Latest Stories
Popular Stories
Featured Sections
Related Stories
More From This Author