The bill is aimed at establishing a digital national population database to be a single source of foundational and functional data for all resident individuals
The public has 14 days from Thursday next week to have their input in the Huduma Namba Bill
A proposed bill by Interior Cabinet Secretary Fred Matiang’i regarding Huduma Namba is already eliciting mixed reactions after it emerged that there might be dire consequences for those who failed to register.
If enacted, The Huduma Bill, 2019, might see those without the number miss out on key government services like applying for driving licenses, buying and selling land, health care and registering for marriage.
Every resident individual shall have a mandatory obligation to present the Huduma Namba in order to:
- be issued with a passport
- apply for a driving licence
- register a mobile phone number
- register as a voter
- pay taxes
- transact in the financial markets
- open a bank account
- register a company or a public benefit organisation
- transfer or make any dealings in land
- register for electricity connection
- access universal health care services
- benefit from the government housing scheme
- register a marriage
- enrol into a public educational facility
- access social protection services
- register or transfer a motor vehicle or any other specified public service
According to a document seen by Ureport, the bill is aimed at establishing a digital national population database to be a single source of foundational and functional data for all resident individuals.
It also seeks to facilitate transparent and efficient delivery of public services by providing access and use of information contained under the National Integrated Identity Management System (NIIMS).
The public has 14 days from Thursday next week to have their input in the Huduma Namba Bill. From there it will move to the National Assembly and, if approved to the President for assent, the Huduma Namba will become mandatory for all Kenyans.
Do you have stories, videos or pictures you would like to share with the world?
Simply click on Post Your Story button placed at the top of the website