KENYA’S VOTER REGISTER MUST BE RECONSTITUTED AFRESH TO AVOID ANARCHY
By Paul Barasa | February 19th 2017
Security has been beefed in Baringo County following politicians assassination in the area on Friday night.
Policemen have been seen today patrolling the county especially Marigat to ensure that the tension that is in the area following the death of the politicians is neutralised.
On Friday night Baringo County MCA Fredrick Cheretei and Tiaty parliamentary aspirant Simon Pepee were shot by unknown people who were masked.
Confirming the incident Baringo County commissioner Peter Okonyo said the two were sprayed with bullets at Alfa Bar and Restaurant in Marigat killing them on the spot.
According to Okonyo one of the attackers had an AK47 rifle while the other one had a panga.The assailant went further to burn the vehicles of the deceased.
Some people were also injured during the incident.According to Pepee’s driver, they were planning on how to visit residents of East Pokot the following day which was on a Saturday.
The motive behind their death has not been established though some people believe it was politically motivated.
Leaders from the county, Baringo Governor Benjamin Cheboi,senator Gideon Moi and the County Assembly speaker William Kamket met with the Interior Cabinet Secretary Joseph Nkaissery on Saturday to access the security situation in the county.
This comes barely a week after a police reservist was killed by cattle rustlers at Tirioko.
Meanwhile, the families of the deceased have urged the government to move in with speed to establish the motive behind the killings and at the same time arrest the perpetrators so that justice is done to them-the bereaved families.
Olympics: 5,000m runner Kimeli sails through to final, believes 2021 could be his year to deliver
- Syombua exit in 400m heats as Botswana’s Montsho calls it a day on the track
- Olympics: Syombua fails to qualify for semi-finals of women’s 400m, finishes 5th
- Our faith looks up to thee 1,500m Olympic gold medallist Faith Chepngetich
Missing student found dead at university grounds
- Raila agrees to share political party billions with Wiper, other parties
- Unknown people were tracking Wycliffe Omwenga
- Fanfare as Raila meets musicians
By Betty Njeru
- Letter from Ithanga: Murang’a’s unexploited agricultural Canaan
By XN Iraki
- The four options for Kalonzo in 2022 succession