Education CS George Magoha has said that the Kenya Certificate of Primary Education (KCPE) and Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (KSCE) would still be done as planned.
This comes after concerns raised on President Uhuru’s directive that all public and private institutions be shut down indefinitely over the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic in the country.
Magoha said that they have only lost three weeks of learning despite schools being closed in mid-March.
“At the point at which the government closed schools we had had 10 weeks. So I do not understand what all this cry is about, because the only time we have lost so far is three weeks,” said Magoha.
The education CS added that there were no reasons to have the exams postponed unless the country reaches a point where the disease could not be contained.
“We have not yet reached a stage where we are going to say we are going to postpone this or that, don’t put words into our own mouths. As at now, I as the head of the sector, do not see any reason why we should postpone exams,” he stated.
Mogaha, without disclosing much information, added that the Ministry of Education has put in place measures to ensure the students are not affected during exam time.
“And I want to say this very clearly that we have already worked in the back room and we have certain scenarios which I shall not divulge to you at this time.”
“Because those scenarios depend on how the virus proceeds. We are not going to risk the lives of our children because dead people do not take exams,” added Magoha.
On Monday April 13, Health CS Mutahi Kagwe announced that 11 more people had tested positive for coronavirus, bringing the total of confirmed cases in the country to 208.