Mudavadi pleads with Uhuru on behalf of Kenyans

By Vincent Kejitan | Thursday, Apr 9th 2020 at 11:26
Share this story:

ANC party leader Musalia Mudavadi on Wednesday pleaded with the government to explore ways in which Kenyans who were caught off guard by the cessation of movement order can be assisted.

Mudavadi said some 'breadwinners' are now stranded in neighbouring counties and cannot go home for the next three weeks.

He acknowledged that it was necessary to control people’s movement due to the threat posed by Coronavirus but he highlighted some cases that might need to be reconsidered.

“There are children whose parents have been caught on the other side of the divide. A parent who travelled to Nyeri or Embu, for instance, may have not had the opportunity to get back to Nairobi before the sudden clampdown.

“I urge the government to find a way to sieve these cases so that we do not generate new problems because of the way we are managing this problem,” he said.

On Monday, President Uhuru Kenyatta announced that there would be no movement in and out of Nairobi as part of containing the spread of the virus.

The Head of State also extended the order to Kilifi, Kwale and Mombasa counties where the directive took effect on Wednesday at 7pm.

Many Kenyans were inconvenienced by the move after roadblocks were erected on major highways.

On Wednesday, passengers who were on their way to Mombasa were left stranded after their bus broke down and the one that had been sent to pick them was blocked from leaving Nairobi.

Kenyans have asked the President to consider special cases even as the country fights to stop the spread of Coronavirus.

Government Spokesperson Cyrus Oguna, however, said if citizens continue bending the rules it will bring more harm than good.

Share this story:
Other related topics:

Latest Stories