There will be roadblocks, carry your job ID if you are part of the essential services — IG Mutyambai

By Vincent Kejitan | Friday, Mar 27th 2020 at 16:50
Share this story:

The 7pm-5am curfew is set to start later today (Friday) and Inspector General of Police Hillary Mutyambai has instructed Kenyans to ensure they observe the curfew as instructed by the President.

Speaking at Afya House, Mutyambai said that there will be dire consequences for those who will not adhere to the directive.

The curfew will prohibit all public gatherings, processions and movement either alone or as a group.

Also, roadblocks will be erected across the country and no movement of vehicles except the essential services will be allowed to proceed.

List of essential services: Medical professionals and health workersNational security, administration and co-ordination officersPublic Health and sanitation officers in the county governmentsLicensed pharmacies and drug storesLicensed broadcasters and media housesKenya PowerFood dealers, distributors, wholesalers and transporters of farm produceLicensed supermarkets, mini-markets and hypermarketsLicensed distributors and retailers of petroleum and oil products and lubricantsLicensed telecommunication operators and service providersLicensed banks, financial institutions and payment financial servicesFire brigade and other emergency response servicesLicensed security firms

Mutyambai also stated that essential services vehicles will be subjected to scrutiny and police will inspect whether they are legitimate.

For those who are part of the essential services, the IG noted that they should carry their job identification cards that should also prove that they are on duty.

“Anyone who violates this will be dealt with accordingly. Kindly cooperate with the police as they enforce the curfew,” he said.

Those who violate the curfew will be arrested and charged in a court of law.

Health CS Mutahi Kagwe added that being the first day there will be inconveniences that are regrettable but necessary.

The CS added that only the ministry will be giving updates on the numbers of COVID-19 patients.

Earlier this week, President Uhuru Kenyatta said the National Security Council was forced invoke the Public Order Number One on coronavirus pandemic to restrict movement of people because Kenyans had been reluctant to adhere to behavioural protocols by the Health ministry to tame the virus spread.

He appeared to hint at a total lockdown should Kenyans defy the curfew order.

“If the measures are deemed to be inadequate, we shall, without hesitation, take even further and more drastic measures to ensure that the cardinal duty of the government and of the State which is the protection of life and property is assured,” he said.

Share this story:
Other related topics:

Latest Stories