Pupil chokes to death after swallowing mandazi

By Fay Ngina | Thursday, Feb 6th 2020 at 10:49
Share this story:

A class five pupil at the Onyalo Primary School died after choking on mandazi on Tuesday, February 4.

Josiah Ombura is said to have choked to death after a piece of the mandazi he was eating got stuck on his throat.

The Suna Central Chief Caleb Ombura confirmed the incident stating that the pupil was pronounced dead when they arrived at the Migori Level five hospital after attempts to administer first aid.

According to the headteacher, Dean Odhiambo, the pupil was playing with his fellow students when the incident happened.

Mr Odhiambo states that Josiah first shared the mandazi with his colleagues, but when more pupils came, he swallowed it.

“The deceased was dividing mandazi among colleagues, and when more pupils came, he tried to swallow it to prevent him from sharing before it chocked him,” said the headteacher.

Ombura says they are waiting for the official autopsy to establish the actual cause of death as police launch investigations.

His body was taken to the Migori Referral Hospital mortuary.

Share this story:
Other related topics:

Latest Stories