Student stabs colleague to death in love triangle

By Jack Murima and Simon Oyeng' | Thursday, Jun 20th 2019 at 08:24
Share this story:

A 24-year old student at Shamberere Technical Training Institute (STTI) was on Monday evening stabbed to death by his colleague over love triangle.

Dennis Muindi, a fourth year National Youth Service (NYS) student was struck on the chest after his attacker accused him of eloping with his girlfriend.

The suspect, Dennis Mango, is said to have committed the offence after learning Mr Muindi was eyeing his girlfriend.

The college administration was yesterday forced to close the institution indefinitely following riots by students who were demanding for justice for their slain colleague.

Operations in the nearby shopping center came to a standstill after the police engaged the angry students in running battles.

According to Peter Mwanzo, the area Officer Commanding Police Division (OCPD), trouble started on Monday morning when a colleague posted on a student Facebook page that the girl was in a relationship with Muindi.

This, he said, irked the suspect who was also befriending the lady.

In the evening at around 7pm, Mr Mango is said to have approached the victim at their hostel and called him aside.

"The suspect turned against the deceased, produced a knife and with a single stab, attacked him on the chest. This led to massive bleeding and he later died before he could get medical attention," said Mr Kwanza.

This sparked violence at the school where students attacked the suspect seeking to lynching him. Mango was rescued by officers from the nearby Malava Police Station who were alerted of the incident.

He was rushed to Malava Sub-County Hospital under tight security, as police conduct investigations.

Amugasia Muindi, father of the deceased expressed his grief saying he had high hopes in his firstborn son who he had seen grow since childhood.

"He has been a disciplined child from his childhood. I have laboured to educate him through menial jobs and was looking forward for his graduation in December," said the distraught father of five.

Mr Amugasia, an artisan at Busoli Secondary said he received initial report from the media but could not believe his son was the victim of a cold blooded murder.

He was informed on the incident late in the night and rushed to the school early in the morning to confirm his fears.

The OCPD said the security operatives decided to close the school indefinitely to allow further probe. He said the institution shall be treated as a crime scene.

"The suspect was subjected to mob (in)justice by his colleagues who inflicted serious wounds on him with an aim of lynching him. We shall treat him as a main suspect of murder. We expect to arraign him when his health stabilizes," said Mr Mwanza.

The school principal could not be reached for a comment as she was holed in a meeting with officials from the NYS.

Credible sources confided to The Standard that the school shall reopen on June 25.

Share this story:
Other related topics:

Latest Stories