Woman's face left covered in blisters after botched plastic surgery

By Mirror | Tuesday, Apr 23rd 2019 at 15:52
Share this story:

A woman suffered second-degree burns and huge blisters on the face and neck after a botched facelift.

The horrific experience happened at an unnamed plastic surgery clinic in Taipei, the capital of Taiwan.

The woman in her 50s is said to have been unaware as her skin was burnt from the inside out during the much sought-after a ‘Thermage’ treatment.

The face-tightening procedure relies on heating deep layers of the patient’s skin to stimulate collagen, according to the California-based company Thermage.

However, after an hour of the treatment, the patient was sent home and reportedly began experiencing sharp pain on her face, followed by burn blisters.

She took herself to hospital and was shocked to learn she had suffered second-degree burns during the treatment.

She was put in intensive care for three weeks as a result.

Doctor Lin Shang-li, who runs the Shang-Li Dermatologic and Aesthetic Clinic in Taiwan’s northern New Taipei City said the patient came to him for help after her traumatic ordeal.

Lin said of the woman’s experience: “More often than not, it’s caused by the strength of the treatment.

“If the patient was under general anaesthesia during the procedure, she wouldn’t have been able to give the surgeons feedback in real time," she continued.

“She wouldn’t have been able to tell them whether it hurt or not, leading to over-treatment and eventually burn injuries.”

Lin said he would be treating the woman’s face, which is covered in dark scars from her burn wounds.

However, due to her burn injuries, she will need to wait at least two to three months before undergoing any new procedures.

Share this story:
Other related topics:

Latest Stories