Court told how woman clobbered man to death for failing to pay for githeri worth Sh20

Githeri. [File, Standard]

A witness in a murder case recounted before an Eldoret court how his friend was clobbered to death by a woman after he reportedly failed to pay Sh20 for a plate of githeri he'd eaten.

Maurice Mutheee, a casual labourer, recalled how George Okoth, a carpenter, met his death on the evening of August 9, 2020, in Munyaka estate on the outskirts of Eldoret town.

Muthee told a packed court that the accused, Nancy Waithera, who was well-known to him, was helped by three young men who held Okoth's hands as she beat him, hitting him in the head with an object.

"I saw my friend being hit with a blunt object on the head three times by the accused for allegedly refusing to pay for the githeri she had served him," Muthee told High Court judge Reuben Nyakundi.

He said he helped his friend after the incident by taking him to his workshop. Muthee said he hoped Okoth would get better even though he was in pain.

Muthee said Okoth did not seek medical attention. They later parted ways only for him to hear that Okoth had died.

Muthee was testifying in a case where Waithera has denied murdering Okoth on the evening of August 9, 2020, at Munyaka estate in Ainabkoi, Uasin Gishu County.

Henry Kamau, the owner of the carpentry shop where Okoth worked, told the court how he found his employee as he lay down, writhing in pain.

"I was coming from church on the material day when I found George lying down by the roadside and unable to walk. I asked him what the problem was and he told me he'd been hit on the head by the accused," said Kamau.

Kamau, who is a pastor, told the court that he lifted the deceased up and helped him walk to his house a few metres from the shop.

He said he wanted to take Okoth to the hospital but the deceased declined and said all he needed was rest. He said he would monitor his condition from his house, said Kamau.

"About five hours after we had parted ways, I received a call from a friend who told me that Okoth had succumbed to his injuries while in his house. That was around 9pm," he told the judge.

State counsel Mark Mugun told the court two more witnesses, an investigations officer and a pathologist from Moi Teaching and Referral Hospital in Eldoret, were set to testify in the case. 

The hearing will continue on November 6.