Nakuru cop arrested after shooting dead one person, injuring three others

Edwin Apungana at Nakuru Level 5 Hospital on December 13, 3023 after he was allegedly shot by Police Constable Nicholas Musau at Vegas Bar in Nakuru city. One person was shot dead and three others sustained serious injuries. [Kipsang Joseph, Standard]

A Nakuru Police Constable has been arrested after he fatally shot one person and seriously injured three others in a confrontation at a bar.

PC Nicholas Musau attached to Nakuru Central Police Station is said to have committed the offence shortly after midnight on Wednesday morning at Vegas Bar along Moi Road in Nakuru City.

Nakuru County Police Commander Samwel Ndanyi confirmed the arrest adding that the the officer was on standby and had been officially issued the firearm.

According to a police signal, the incident was reported at Kaptembwo Police Station in Nakuru West at 2 am.

"DCI officers from Kaptembwo proceeded to the scene and established that he had picked a quarrel over a bill for drinks he had taken," the statement reads in part.

The statement adds that "In the process, a fracas ensued and the officer fatally injured the bartender aged 30 years. Three people Benjamin Kote, 27, Edwin Apungana, 33, and Laura Kwasira, 26 were rushed to Nakuru Level Five Hospital with gunshot wounds," the statement reads.

The body of the deceased was taken to Nakuru Municipal morgue.

"The police officer has been arrested and a Jericho pistol serial number KP 41311933 with two rounds of 9mm ammunition recovered alongside six spent cartridges," the signal reads further.

Edwin Apungana, a private security guard at the joint, said he was alerted by his colleagues over a client causing a disturbance.

"I joined my colleagues in convincing him to respect the private business. We told him to pick up his drinks and leave but he refused," said Apungana in his hospital bed at the Nakuru Level Five Hospital.

He said that during their engagement with the cop who was in civilian clothes, they had no idea that he was armed.

"He moved several steps backwards and we thought he was about to leave. Instead, he removed his pistol and shot me twice; once in the stomach and another on the side," said Apungana.

He explained that he felt a sharp pain in the abdomen and all he could hear was continuous gunshots.

"I lost all my strength and all I knew was that the shooting was going on. I saw him aim the gun at other people before I fell," said Apungana.

Nakuru Level Five Hospital Medical Superintendent Dr James Waweru said that they received the three patients with gunshot wounds during the night.

"They were two males and a female. The female aged 43 years had multiple gunshot wounds in her legs and the stomach," said Dr Waweru.

The senior doctor said that the female patient was taken to the theatre where the doctors managed to control her bleeding.

"She has a bullet lodged in her spine. The doctors only managed to stop the bleeding as they planned for a more advanced operation to remove the bullet. She is currently stable and undergoing a blood transfusion," said Waweru.

He explained that for the two males, the bullets had entry and exit wounds.

"We are also monitoring them and will conduct further analysis to be sure that no bullet is stuck in their bodies," he said.