Almond milk is a healthy, dairy-free milk alternative that packs a flavourful and nutritional punch. However, commercial almond milk is costly and often full of additives so why not make your own at home.
1 cup raw almonds
Muslin or cheesecloth
Jar or bottle
· Soak one cup of almonds in enough water to completely submerge. Leave to soak 24-48 hours; a longer soak produces creamier milk.
· After soaking, drain and rinse thoroughly
· Put the almonds in a blender with 2 cups of water and blend continuously until completely smooth, approximately 3 minutes.
· Add extra water if you prefer a lighter milk
· Pour the blended almond milk in a cheese cloth or muslin and wring out all the milk
· Store in fridge and consume within 48 hours or freeze in individual servings.
· The leftover almond meal can be used in smoothies or for baking.