Emily Muteti boosted her chances of making Team Kenya for the Japan 2020 Olympic Games after she was named swimmer of the week in the Grand Canyon University (GCU) intercollegiate championships in Tucson, US
The Kenyan, who is on a swimming scholarship at the university, is preparing for next year’s Olympic Games in Tokyo and her recognition for excellence in the swimming event came as a morale booster.
The Mombasa-born swimmer, who has previously set several national and African records, led the way for GCU against Arizona Universality to be declared the best female swimmer of the week.
Muteti’s top swim came in the 100-yard butterfly, where she recorded a lifetime best and earned a first-place finish, touching the wall at 54.44 seconds.
Muteti also impressed in the 50 freestyle, as she finished second and turned in another personal best (23.12).
- READ MORE
- KTN News Sports anchor Wakhisi nominated for AIPS Sport Media Awards
- After muddy showdown, it’s heartbreak for top athletes
- Hope springs eternal in talent-rich Kibera slums
- Brigid Kosgei in race for Laureus Sports Awards
- Blessing in disguise for Kenyan Camp as Africa Cross Country Championships postponed
- REVEALED: Harambee Stars’ matches ahead of 2021 AFCON qualifiers