Diego Maradona recorded a heartbreaking message about his “angel” youngest son hours before dying.
In the audio message, the retired footballer begged the stepdad of seven-year-old Dieguito Fernando to take good care of the little lad.
He said in the recording to Mario Baudry, the new boyfriend of the boy’s mother Veronica Ojeda: “Look after her and look after my angel, who is incomparable.”
The recording was made public by Argentinian journalist Luis Ventura on a US chat show.
- READ MORE
- Pope calls Maradona a fragile poet; decries doping cheats
- Diego Maradona: Autopsy report reveals cause of death
- Maradona’s body must be conserved in case DNA needed in paternity case – court rules
- From ex-partners to photographers, Maradona's fortune has many claimants
- Italy's World Cup hero Rossi dies aged 64
- Argentine senator wants Maradona on country's bank notes
Veronica had shared a picture of Dieguito with his father days earlier.
Veronica, who was at Maradona’s funeral on Thursday, has yet to make any public comment since his death, aged 60, the day before.
His daughter Dalma Maradona cried when one of his old teams applauded in front of her during a game on Sunday.
Maradona had five confirmed children – Dalma, 33, Diego Jnr, 34, Giannina, 31, Jana, 24, and Dieguito.
But he reportedly had another six, including three to two mothers in Cuba.
Officials probing claims of medical negligence raided Leopoldo Luque’s home and clinic on Sunday.
He said: “I feel terrible because a friend died. I don’t blame myself for anything. Someone is trying to find a scapegoat here.”
Police are investigating whether Maradona’s death at his Buenos Aires home was manslaughter.
Dr Luque visited prosecutors on Monday to volunteer for questioning.