Melbourne Renegades to Recruit Gayle despite Furore -Cricket
SPORTS By Reuters | May 4th 2016
Australian Melbourne Renegades are considering bringing back Chris Gayle for another 'Big Bash' cricket tournament despite the furore he caused during his interview with Channel Ten Reporter Mel Mclaughlin.
The West Indies batsman was fined A$10,000 ($7,500) and slammed by Renegades' management in January after asking the reporter out on a date during a televised interview.
"To see your eyes for the first time is nice," the 36-year-old said. "Hopefully we can have a drink afterwards. Don't blush, baby."
In his later report to the journalist, the Jamaican said it was a "simple joke" that had been blown out of proportion and offered a qualified apology to McLaughlin.
Victoria state and Renegades coach David Saker said that while Gayle's behaviour was wrong it would not factor into his recruiting decisions.
"I just pick a squad of players. If the hierarchies or people in higher positions than myself come down on that, they do," Saker said.
"We know it was the wrong thing to do and he probably identified that quite quickly. We all did. But I think what happened afterwards was a bit of a beat-up.
"There's still a chance of (recruiting Gayle).
"To be fair we probably need an overseas bowler though. We're looking at whether to go down that track or to recruit a bowler from inside Australia.
"So we're going through whether we need to re-sign Chris Gayle."
One of the world's most devastating limited overs batsmen, the former West Indies captain celebrated a second World Twenty20 win in India last month.
Online Edition by Musalia Wycliffe
Kip Keino Classic: I have conquered Africa, next is the World record, Omanyala
- Kip Keino Classic: Ferdinand Omanyala breaks national record for the 5th time
- Sprinter Justin Gatlin arrives in the country ahead of Kip Keino Classic slated for Saturday
- Man City held to frustrating draw by Southampton despite VAR reprieve