Last updated 7 months ago | By Waweru Titus
Premier League side Manchester City have confirmed that one of their long-time fans died on way to watch Blues at Arsenal on Sunday.
The Citizens posted the tragic news on Twitter just an hour after their comfortable victory over Gunners at the Emirates Stadium.
The statement read: "Manchester City wishes to express its sincere condolences to the family and friends of a long-time City supporter who passed away today on his way to attending the game at Arsenal.
"The thoughts of all at the Club are with the family and loved ones at this very sad time."
Arsenal, City players and football fans around the world sent their condolences by commenting on the post.
Manchester City wishes to express its sincere condolences to the family and friends of a long-time City supporter who passed away today on his way to attending the game at Arsenal.December 15, 2019
The thoughts of all at the Club are with the family and loved ones at this very sad time.
Arsenal who were brutalised by City commented: “Our thoughts are with all of their family and loved ones. May they rest in peace.”
One of the fans wrote: “Rest in Peace, this win was for you. sending love and condolences to the family right now.”
“Dreadful news especially when he was travelling to watch his Club in action. May he rest in peace,” another fan commented.
The Citizens resumed normal service as an inspired Kevin De Bruyne fired them to a 3-0 victory over gutless Arsenal on Sunday night.
De Bruyne scored a stunning brace and assisted Raheem Sterling as Pep Guardiola's City killed the match as a contest before halftime.
Key Opta Facts
- Arsenal have lost their past five Premier League meetings with Manchester City.
- This was the sixth time Manchester City have beaten Arsenal in the Premier League under Pep Guardiola (P7 W6 D1 L0), as many wins as the Citizens managed against them in the competition before Guardiola's arrival (P38 W6 D9 L23).
- Arsenal have gone six games without a win at Emirates Stadium across all competitions.
- Arsenal managed just one shot on target against Manchester City – their joint-fewest in a Premier League game at the Emirates (also one versus Everton in 2010, Chelsea in 2015 and 2016).
- Manchester City's Kevin De Bruyne has been directly involved in 19 goals in the Premier League in 2019 (seven goals and 12 assists), the most of any midfielder in this period.