x
× Sports Volleyball and Handball Cricket Hockey Gossip & Rumours Premier League videos TV Stations KTN Home KTN News BTV KTN Farmers TV Radio Stations Radio Maisha Spice FM Vybez Radio Digital News Opinions E-Paper Videos Lifestyle & Entertainment Nairobian Entertainment Eve Woman Travelog Enterprise VAS E-Learning E-Paper The Standard Group Corporate RSS
Login ×

Paul Gascoigne charged with sexual assault after incident on train

Last updated 2 years ago | By Mirror

Paul Gascoigne has been charged with sexual assault [Courtesy]

Paul Gascoigne has been charged with sexual assault by touching after an incident on a train.

British Transport Police said the England legend, 51, had been charged with one count of sexual assault by touching following the incident on a train from York to Durham.

Gazza, who played for clubs including Newcastle, Tottenham, Lazio, Rangers and Everton, was arrested at Durham station on August 20.

A spokeswoman for the force said: "A man is due to appear in court next month charged in connection with the sexual assault of a woman on board a train from York to Durham.

"Paul Gascoigne, of Leicester, was charged via postal requisition with one count of sexual assault by touching, contrary to Section 3 of the Sexual Offences Act 2003.

"The charge relates to an incident on board a train on August 20 this year."

Gascoigne is to appear in court next month charged in connection with the sexual assault of a woman on board a train from York to Durham [Courtesy]

He will appear at Newton Aycliffe Magistrates Court on December 11.

Gazza, who became the darling of the nation thanks to his performances for England at the Italia 90 World Cup, hung up his boots in 2004 after a brief stint at non-league side Boston United.

He had a short spell as manager of Kettering Town the following year.

Since then, he has fought well-documented battles with alcoholism and mental health issues.

In August he cut short an appearance on Sky One show Soccer AM after feeling unwell due to taking too many sleeping tablets the night before.

He will appear at Newton Aycliffe Magistrates Court on December 11 [Courtesy]

Last month, a nomination to join the Scottish Football Hall of Fame was withdrawn amid concerns over his health.

Responding to the snub on Twitter, he said: "I played some of the best football in my career at Rangers and loved the support of the fans.

"I don't need to be in the Scottish Hall of Fame to be recognised as one of the best.

"I feel the love and support of the people and know I was the best. Love you all, Gazza xxx."

Share this story
Feedback