Kakamega Homeboyz drop points to throw title race wide open
Kakamega Homeboyz rallied from behind to salvage a point after being held to a 1-1 draw by Sofapaka in a Football Kenya Federation Premier League match played today at Bukhungu Stadium in Kakamega.
The two teams had played out to a one-all draw in the first leg at the Kasarani Annex a week ago and Homeboyz in particular were desperate for three points in order to reclaim their ten-point buffer at the top
Sofapaka captain Lawrence Juma converted from the spot in the 21st minute after Joe Waithira was brought down inside the box.
Two minutes before the break, David Okoth restored parity for Homeboyz with a powerful long range shot to tie the scores at 1-1.
- Sports CS Amina backs new FKF Transition Committee chair Oyugi
- Ringera out as FKF Transition Committee tenure extended by two months
- How Matano won his fourth Premier League title and plans for next season
- Muhoroni Youth upbeat ahead of Super League top of the table clash
- Move over Gor, AFC, Tusker the new Sheriffs in town
Homeboyz custodian Godfrey Oputi would then save a 76th minute penalty by denying Hansel Ochieng from the spot to save the leaders from defeat.
The draw cuts Homeboyz's lead at the top to eight points as they have amassed 54 points from 26 matches.
Defending champions Tusker, who beat Gor Mahia 2-0 on Saturday in Narok, have 46 points having also played the same number of matches.
Sofapaka remained 12th on the log with 30 points.
Elsewhere, Elsewhere, Bandari played out to a 2-2 draw with Nzoia Sugar.