× Sports Football Rugby Olympics Volleyball and Handball Cricket Boxing Golf Hockey Tennis Gossip & Rumours World Cup 2018 Basketball Athletics Sports Premier League Eliud Kipchoge Women in Sports Unique Sports Opinion Motorsport Videos Podcasts E-Paper Lifestyle & Entertainment Nairobian Entertainment Eve Woman Travelog TV Stations KTN Home KTN News BTV KTN Farmers TV Radio Stations Radio Maisha Spice FM Vybez Radio Enterprise VAS E-Learning Digger Classified Jobs Games Crosswords Sudoku The Standard Group Corporate Contact Us Rate Card Vacancies DCX O.M Portal Corporate Email RMS
×
SPORTS

Antonio Conte leaves Inter Milan despite winning Scudetto

FOOTBALL By Waweru Titus | May 27th 2021
Former Inter Milan coach Antonio Conte. [Photo: Courtesy]

Inter Milan coach Antonio Conte has left the club days after winning the Italian Serie A title.

According to Sky Sports, Conte and Inter parted ways on Wednesday via mutual termination of his contract.

A report by Sky Sport Italia revealed Inter agreed to pay Antonio Conte around €7 million (Sh918 million) to terminate the contract which was set to expire at the end of June 2022.

The champions of Italy in the 2020/21 season confirmed Conte’s departure on Wednesday evening (EAT) in an official statement on their website.

“FC Internazionale Milano can confirm that an agreement has been reached with Antonio Conte for the termination of his contract by mutual consent.

“The Club would like to thank Antonio for the extraordinary work that he has done, culminating in Inter’s 19th top-flight title.

“Antonio Conte will forever remain a part of our Club’s history,” Inter said in a statement seen by The Standard Sports.

Football - Serie A - Inter Milan v Udinese - San Siro, Milan, Italy - May 23, 2021. Inter Milan celebrate with the trophy after winning Serie A. [REUTERS/Massimo Pinca]

Conte, who joined Inter in May 2019, agreed to depart Sky Sport Italia reported he had been left unhappy with plans to reduce investment and cut costs due to the financial impact of the COVID-19 pandemic.

The 51-year-old’s ambitions to improve his squad were at odds with the club’s financial situation, with Inter reportedly looking to slash the wage bill by 15-20% and make 70-100 million euros from player sales before next season (2021/22).

Former Juventus manager Massimiliano Allegri and current Lazio coach Simone Inzaghi have been named in Italian media as potential successors.

Share this story
No pressure for AFC Leopards coach ahead of Mathare clash
AFC Leopards coach Patrick Aussems has urged his charges to remain focused as he aims to...
I am proud as Kenya’s first ever medalist at Olympics, says Kiprugut
It was the day Kiprugut landed back from Tokyo, Japan, where he had won...
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS
Feedback