× Sports Football Rugby Olympics Volleyball and Handball Cricket Boxing Golf Hockey Tennis Gossip & Rumours Basketball Athletics Premier League Eliud Kipchoge Women in Sports Unique Sports Motorsport Sports Health Videos Podcasts E-Paper Lifestyle & Entertainment Nairobian Entertainment Eve Woman Travelog TV Stations KTN Home KTN News BTV KTN Farmers TV Radio Stations Radio Maisha Spice FM Vybez Radio Enterprise VAS E-Learning Digger Classified Jobs Games Crosswords Sudoku The Standard Group Corporate Contact Us Rate Card Vacancies DCX O.M Portal Corporate Email RMS

FKF Premier League: Kenya Police hold Gor Mahia

FOOTBALL By Washington Onyango | November 6th 2021 | 2 min read
Gor Mahia defender Haron Shakava (left) and Cliffton Miheso of Police during FKF Premier league at The Moi International Sports Centre, Kasarani. Nov 6, 2021. [Jonah Onyango, Standard]

Newbies Kenya Police came from a goal down to force a 1-1 draw against Gor Mahia in a FKF Premier League match played at Kasarani Stadium on Saturday.

Former Gor Mahia winger Clifton Miheso returned to haunt his former employers after scoring for Kenya Police in the draw.

Boniface Omondi gave Gor the lead early into the second half before Miheso leveled the scores at the hour mark as K’Ogalo registered their second consecutive draw.

Despite that, Gor Mahia stretched their unbeaten run in the league to six matches and remained top of the table with 14 points having played a game more than their closest rivals Bandari and Kakamega Homeboyz.

Gor and Police played out to a wasteful first half that saw both teams waste clear cut chances to take the lead.

However, all that changed in the final half when Omondi powered home a header to give the former champions the lead in the 54th minute.

The lead would however last for six minutes before the promoted side levelled the scores in the 60th minute when Miheso scored from close range.

Benard Omondi was red carded in the 90th minute after dangerous play as Police escaped a late attack from Gor Mahia in an attempt to win the match with a numerical advantage.

Speaking after the match, Gor head coach Mark Harrison rued missed chances in the opening half and called for improvement.

“We missed two clear chances to score in the first half. Almost nine goal scoring opportunities went to waste. We have been talking about converting our chances and we will go again to work towards rectifying our offensive style.”

“We could have been 3-0 up in the first half and return to finish the match. A draw out of nothing but we go again in our next match,” said the Englishman.

His Police counterpart Bobby Ogolla said he was happy with the point but slightly disappointed with the mistakes they made in the team.

“The point is good but we had many mistakes. Including the red card, we have a lot to do and we are lucky the red card came late,” said the former Gor Mahia coach.

Share this story
Handball: Adhiambo upbeat as Nairobi Water seeks to complete double over Ulinzi Sharks
Defending Kenya Handball Federation (KHF) Women’s Premier League champions Nairobi Water Queens influential player Michelle Adhiambo is confident they
What 2022 holds for title-hungry Kenyan athletes
It remains to be seen if stars Kipyegon, Kipchoge and Jepchirchir will continue with the good shows.