× Sports Football Rugby Olympics Volleyball and Handball Cricket Boxing Golf Hockey Tennis Gossip & Rumours World Cup 2018 Basketball Athletics Sports Premier League Eliud Kipchoge Women in Sports Unique Sports Opinion Motorsport Videos Podcasts E-Paper Lifestyle & Entertainment Nairobian Entertainment Eve Woman Travelog TV Stations KTN Home KTN News BTV KTN Farmers TV Radio Stations Radio Maisha Spice FM Vybez Radio Enterprise VAS E-Learning Digger Classified Jobs Games Crosswords Sudoku The Standard Group Corporate Contact Us Rate Card Vacancies DCX O.M Portal Corporate Email RMS
×
SPORTS

Newcastle Sh45 billion Saudi takeover CONFIRMED

FOOTBALL By Reuters | October 7th 2021
Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed Bin Salman {photo courtesy]

Premier League club Newcastle United have been taken over by a Saudi Arabian-backed consortium, the league announced in a statement on Thursday.

"Following the completion of the Premier League's Owners' and Directors' Test, the club has been sold to the consortium with immediate effect," the Premier League said .

The consortium includes the kingdom's $430 billion sovereign wealth fund PIF, chaired by Saudi crown prince Mohammed bin Salman, which is at the centre of plans to transform its economy by creating new sectors and diversifying revenues away from oil.

The investment group, which also includes PCP Capital Partners and Reuben Brothers, had previously made public a 305 million pounds ($415.07 million /Sh45 billion) bid to buy the north-east club from British businessman Mike Ashley on April 9, 2020.

However, that deal collapsed in July 2020 amid scrutiny from the Premier League, which came under pressure to stop the sale due to concerns over alleged broadcast piracy in Saudi Arabia.

"The Premier League, Newcastle United Football Club and St James Holdings Limited have today settled the dispute over the takeover of the club by the consortium of PIF, PCP Capital Partners and RB Sports & Media," the league added.

"The legal disputes concerned which entities would own and/or have the ability to control the club following the takeover.

"The Premier League has now received legally binding assurances that the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia will not control Newcastle United Football Club."

The piracy dispute involved Qatari-owned beIN Sports, the Premier League's broadcast rights holder across the Middle East, which had been barred from operating in Saudi Arabia.

Saudi Arabia lifted that ban on Wednesday, clearing a major hurdle to the Newcastle deal.

Share this story
Kakamega County ready to host 2021 SOYA Gala, says Oparanya
The County government of Kakamega has signed a Memorandum of Understanding with the organisers of the Sports Personality of the Awards (SOYA) to host
Team Kenya recalls tense moments at Tokyo Games
Pressure from Kenyans on social media, demanding medals during the 2020 Olympics that ended in August ushered in tense moments for athletes.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS
Feedback