× Sports Football Rugby Olympics Volleyball and Handball Cricket Boxing Golf Hockey Tennis Gossip & Rumours World Cup 2018 Basketball Athletics Sports Premier League Eliud Kipchoge Women in Sports Unique Sports Opinion Motorsport Videos Podcasts E-Paper Lifestyle & Entertainment Nairobian Entertainment Eve Woman Travelog TV Stations KTN Home KTN News BTV KTN Farmers TV Radio Stations Radio Maisha Spice FM Vybez Radio Enterprise VAS E-Learning Digger Classified Jobs Games Crosswords Sudoku The Standard Group Corporate Contact Us Rate Card Vacancies DCX O.M Portal Corporate Email RMS

Tusker’s Bwire stops Gor from the spot in FKF Super Cup battle

FOOTBALL By Washington Onyango | September 23rd 2021
Goalkeeper Tusker FC Brian Bwire saving a penalty kick during FKF Super Cup curtain raiser match against Gor Mahia for the 2021/22 season at The Thika Stadium. Sept 22, 2021. [Jonah Onyango, Standard]

The brewers edged out 10-man Gor Mahia 8-7 on post-match penalties after a 1-1 draw in regular time in the match played at the Thika Sub-County Stadium yesterday.

Tusker’s new custodian Brian Bwire was the star of the match after saving three penalties to deny Gor Mahia the trophy.

The former Kariobangi Sharks goalkeeper saved Ernest Wendo’s last spot kick to deliver Tusker their second title this year with another new signing Kalos Kirenge scoring the winning penalty.

Bwire had also saved Fred Nkata and Alpha Onyango’s penalties in the dramatic shootout.

Tusker’s Kevin Monyi and Humphrey Mieno missed their penalties as Daniel Sakari, Boniface Muchiri, Joshua Ibrahim, Clyde Senaji, Christopher Orchum, Brian Bwire, Jimmy Mbugua and Kalos Kirenge all scored.

Sammy Onyango had given K’Ogalo the lead from the spot in the 53rd minute before Tanzanian import Ibrahim Joshua restored parity for Tusker in similar fashion three minutes later.

Gor ended the match with 10 men after their captain Harun Shakava was sent off for a second yellow card offence at the hour mark.

Speaking after the win, Tusker head coach Robert Matano said he was impressed with the performances of his new additions.

Matano, who left out captain and Defender of the Year winner Eugene Asike among other senior players in the Super Cup final squad, said he was testing his full squad ahead of FKF Premier League kick-off this weekend.

“It was a good test for the new guys. I am impressed with how we executed our play against a very strong Gor side. The squad is very big and comprises of many good and influential players and I had to balance as we look ahead to a tough and busy season,” Matano said.

Tusker FC wins FKF Super Cup against Gor Mahia during a curtain raiser match for the 2021/22 season at The Thika Stadium. Sept 22, 2021. [Jonah Onyango, Standard]

Gor Mahia coach Mark Harrison on his side was disappointed with the result saying they did not have enough time to prepare.

“My players were rusty today. I only learnt about this match 10-days ago and despite doing everything to prepare the team we did not play well.

“However, this is a wake-up call to the players who have to start the season on a winning note this coming weekend. The transfer window is still open and we will try to bring in new additions before the league gets underway as we eye to reclaim the title,” said the K’Ogalo tactician.

Tusker have now had the better of Gor Mahia in three straight games with the other two wins coming when the two rivals faced off last season in the league.

The Super Cup is the official curtain raiser for the 20021-2022 season, which will kick off on Saturday.


Share this story
Injury forces world record holder Keitany to retire
Women-only world marathon record holder Mary Keitany has officially announced her retirement from athletics, after nearly two decades of phenomenal pe
Kenya registers mixed results in military championships
Commonwealth super-heavyweight boxing bronze medallist Fredrick Ramogi and welterweight (64kg) Chrispin Murimi registered crucial victories as Kenya r