List of players to miss Euro 2020 games due to COVID-19
FOOTBALL By Reuters | June 10th 2021
The European Championship, postponed by one year due to the COVID-19 pandemic, is set to kick off on Friday.
Many participating countries continue to struggle with new infections, and some players have not been inoculated before the tournament due to different vaccination rollout rules.
Following is a list of players ruled out of one or more Euro 2020 games due to a COVID-19 infection:
* Jasper Cillessen - tested positive on May 28
The Netherlands left first choice goalkeeper out of the Euro 2020 squad after he tested positive, with coach Frank de Boer not prepared to risk how long he needs to recover.
* Sergio Busquets - tested positive on June 6
* Diego Llorente - tested positive on June 9
Spain captain Sergio Busquets tested positive eight days before their first match at Euro 2020 and is set to miss Spain's opening fixture against Sweden on Monday.
Spain defender Diego Llorente tested positive five days before their Euro 2020 opener, which he was also set to miss.
However, one day later he was set to return to the squad's training camp after testing negative in another two rounds of tests. There were indications he had returned a false positive on Tuesday.
* Dejan Kulusevski - tested positive on June 8
* Mattias Svanberg - tested positive on June 8
Sweden midfielders Dejan Kulusevski and Mattias Svanberg have tested positive for COVID-19 and will miss the opening game against Spain.
After the first of the two players returned a positive test, Sweden head coach Janne Andersson said no reserve would be called up as he hoped Kulusevski would be able to rejoin the squad after the Group E opener.
Covid 19 Time Series
Kenya 7s bow out of the Olympics after defeat to Ireland, tearful Amonde speaks
- Tokyo notebook day 2: Kenyan colours are hot cake in Tokyo
- Olympics: Coach Simiyu says last 90 seconds cost Kenya win against USA
- 13-year-old shocks the world, scoops gold in Tokyo Olympic Games