× Sports Volleyball and Handball Cricket Hockey Gossip & Rumours Premier League Videos Podcasts E-Paper Lifestyle & Entertainment Nairobian Entertainment Eve Woman Travelog TV Stations KTN Home KTN News BTV KTN Farmers TV Radio Stations Radio Maisha Spice FM Vybez Radio Enterprise VAS E-Learning Digger Classified Jobs Games Crosswords Sudoku The Standard Group Corporate Contact Us Rate Card Vacancies DCX O.M Portal Corporate Email RMS
×
SPORTS

Florentino Perez insists Super League is still on and England's big six haven't left

FOOTBALL By Mirror | April 22nd 2021
Real Madrid president Florentino Perez [Courtesy]

Real Madrid president Florentino Perez insists the European Super League is only on standby and the English clubs who signed up have yet to officially leave.

Perez was named as the first chairman of the European Super League when the clubs released statements on Sunday confirming their intentions to form a new breakaway competition.

The public outcry in response to the 12 clubs signing up for the midweek competition resulted in a dramatic U-turn by the six English clubs involved on Tuesday night.

Manchester City were the first to release a statement confirming their exit, after Chelsea had made clear they intended to do so. The other four English clubs – ArsenalLiverpoolManchester United and Tottenham Hotspu r – soon followed, with Italian club Inter Milan and Spanish side Atletico Madrid also stating they have left the proposal.

Juventus, AC Milan, Barcelona and Real Madrid therefore appear to be the only clubs still committed to the project but Perez insists the European Super League may still happen.

“Nobody has yet paid the penalisation fee for leaving the Super League. We are almost all still in this, they have not officially left yet,” Perez told El Larguero.

“The Super League project is now on standby, I can confirm.

“Juventus and AC Milan have not left the Super League. Real Madrid, Barcelona, Juventus and AC Milan are still in talks to find solutions.

Take a quick survey and help us improve our website
Take a survey

“If this project doesn't work then another one will. Remember, all the 12 clubs have signed a binding contract.”

Perez claimed Real Madrid’s income was set to fall from 900 million euros to 600 million euros this year and stated with domestic competitions protected, the increase in revenue would need to come from midweek fixtures.

The 74-year-old also revealed the European Super League plan had been three years in the making.

He said: “There was someone in the English six clubs who did not have much interest. That started to affect the others, there was fear. One of the English clubs was never really convinced.

“There was a campaign, totally manipulated, that we were going to finish the national leagues. That we were ending football, it was terrible. But we were working for football to survive.

“There are people with privileges who do not want to lose them, and are willing to ruin clubs, although when the clubs are ruined they will lose their privileges.

“The English clubs tried to do something, but they were being told they were killing football. But there is no other solution than the Super League. Or somebody invents something else.

“They are leaving due to UEFA putting on a show, which surprised me. I don’t want to get into it with the UEFA president, but he needs to be able to talk. It was like we had thrown an atomic bomb. They did not let us explain, as they did not want anything to change.

“It cannot be that in England the six lose money and 14 make money. In Spain the top three lose money and the others make money. It cannot continue – at the moment the rich are those who are losing money.”

Share this story
PHOTOS: Preparations underway ahead of ARC Equator Rally showpiece
The anticipated ARC Equator Rally will take place from...
Drivers raring to show whose car is the best in ARC event
35 competitors are happy with their cars ahead of showdown.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS
Feedback