Liverpool rocked by Diogo Jota injury news as star faces two month lay-off
FOOTBALL By Mirror | December 13th 2020
Liverpool have been hit by another major injury blow after striker Diogo Jota was ruled out for two months with a knee injury.
Jota, who has been sensational for the champions since his £41million arrival from Wolves, was crocked during the Reds' Champions League draw with Midtjylland on Wednesday night.
And Liverpool now fear he will be sidelined until February after he underwent scans to assess the damage.
Jota, 24, has scored nine goals in 17 appearances for the Reds and is putting Roberto Firmino under pressure for his place in Jurgen Klopp's team.
It is more bad news for Klopp.
The Kop boss has lost a raft of players – including Virgil van Dijk and Joe Gomez with long-term knee injuries.
And he will now be without Jota for the busy Christmas and New Year period.
Liverpool face Fulham at Craven Cottage after making a solid start to the defence of their title despite mounting injury issues.
Meanwhile, Klopp heaped praise on Jota last week as he revelled in Liverpool's strength and depth in attack. He told Liverpool's official website : "He's doing exceptionally well at the moment, absolutely.
"But to keep that standard we have to work really hard, we have to keep him in a good shape, score goals because the other boys do that usually. That's clear.
"For us, the most important thing was that we don't have to bite our nails pretty much in each game and hope they [Salah, Mane and Firmino] somehow come through and we can bring them in the next game again – especially not in this season."
Kenya 7s bow out of the Olympics after defeat to Ireland, tearful Amonde speaks
- Tokyo notebook day 2: Kenyan colours are hot cake in Tokyo
- Olympics: Coach Simiyu says last 90 seconds cost Kenya win against USA
- 13-year-old shocks the world, scoops gold in Tokyo Olympic Games