Paul Pogba in top 10 of Premier League players who make most mistakes
FOOTBALL By Mirror | December 11th 2020
Paul Pogba has rarely been out of the spotlight since his £89million switch from Juventus in 2016.
It’s been no different this season, with the Manchester United midfielder still dividing opinion.
After contracting coronavirus earlier in the campaign, Pogba struggled for early season form, with Ole Gunnar Solskjaer looking at alternative options.
But in their most recent Premier League win, the World Cup winner returned to form, driving United to a win and scoring a long-distance strike in the process.
However, since the goal at London Stadium, Pogba has been back in the news with agent Mino Raiola claiming his Manchester United career is “over”.
With just 18-months left on his deal, Raiola has suggested that he will not extend his contract and it would suit all parties if he left in 2021.
The comments have been met with widespread condemnation, with Liverpool legend Jamie Carragher particularly critical of the player.
Take a survey
“Get rid! I’ve been saying this for 12 months. The most overrated player I’ve ever seen in my life!” Carragher said on Sky Sports.
And according to findings from BettingOdds.com, Carragher’s assessment is based in fact, with Pogba taking place in the list of most error-prone players in the top-flight.
The study looks at every Premier League player that played at least 90 minutes this season and looked how often a mistake is made.
Players are divided by position, with each given a list of incidents that constitute an error.
The study considers a ‘mistake’ from a midfield player as “shots off target, big chances missed, unsuccessful tackles, duels lost, aerial duels lost, unsuccessful crosses, errors leading to goal, yellow cards, red cards, fouls, own goals, loss of possession and conceding a penalty.”
Pogba finds himself sixth in the list, making a mistake every 4 minutes and 4 seconds of action, with his two conceded penalties the highest in the division.
Burnley striker Matej Vydra tops the pile, while Aston Villa’s Trezeguet, West Brom winger Matt Phillips, Neeskens Kebano and Spurs midfielder Giovani Lo Celso make up the rest of the top-five.
On a club by club basis, Bruno Fernandes is surprisingly the second-most error prone United player – although his 11 goal involvements in 10 games make up for that.
Top 10 Premier League Players with the least minutes per mistake (via BettingOdds.com)
- 1. Matej Vydra (Burnley) - 43 Mistakes / Mistake every 3 minutes 13 seconds
- 2. Trézéguet (Aston Villa) - 187 Mistakes / Mistake every 3 minutes 33 seconds
- 3 Matt Phillips (West Bromwich Albion) - 45 Mistakes / Mistake every 3 minutes 52 seconds
- 4 Neeskens Kebano (Fulham) - 30 Mistakes / Mistake every 3 minutes 52 seconds
- 5. Giovani Lo Celso (Tottenham Hotspur) - 79 Mistakes / Mistake every 3 minutes 53 seconds
- 6. Paul Pogba (Manchester United) - 114 Mistakes / Mistake every 4 minutes 4 seconds
- 7. Ruben Loftus-Cheek (Fulham) - 82 Mistakes / Mistake every 4 minutes 18 seconds
- 8. Max Lowe (Sheffield United) - 94 Mistakes / Mistake every 4 minutes 25 seconds
- 9. Luke Thomas (Leicester City) - 40 Mistakes / Mistake every 4 minutes 30 seconds
- 10. Mario Lemina (Fulham) - 57 Mistakes / Mistake every 4 minutes 31 seconds
FIFA orders expulsion and relegation of Zoo FC due to match-fixing charges