Bayern Munich’s Alphonso Davies has been named the 2020 Canadian Player of the Year, Canada Soccer said on Thursday, on the back of a remarkable season with the Bundesliga club.
The 20-year-old left back, who also claimed the honour in 2018, enjoyed a stellar year in which the German club won five trophies, including the Champions League.
Davies earned the highest voting score from Canadian media and coaches, finishing just ahead of Christine Sinclair’s record set in 2012, Canada Soccer said.
“I just want to play the game that I love,” Davies said on a call with media while adding that his main focus is returning from the ankle injury he suffered in October.
“With everything that’s going on I’m very grateful, very humbled for everything that’s happening around me.”
- READ MORE
- ‘Shocked’ Bayern knocked out of German Cup by second tier Kiel
- Bayern Munich in trouble ahead of Club World Cup
- Bayern retain top spot with comeback 5-2 win
- PSG confirm departure of manager Thomas Tuchel
- 'LewanGoalski' sends Bayern top of the table with last-gasp winner
- Lewandowski beats Messi, Ronaldo to FIFA Best Player Award
Davies’s marauding runs down the left became a feature of Bayern’s stunning 2019-20 campaign as he cemented his place in the side and marked himself out as one of the game’s hottest prospects.