After dominating possession with little reward, City found a breakthrough in the 36th minute when Gabriel Jesus trapped a crossfield ball and fed Raheem Sterling, who produced a sublime backheel pass for Foden to slam the ball into the net.
The Greek side stayed in the game and were not far from finding a late equaliser when Konstantinos Fortounis pulled his shot just wide of the far post from a tight angle, while defender Pape Cisse headed over the bar in added time.
City’s fourth consecutive win in Europe’s elite competition left them top of Group C with 12 points, while Olympiakos are third with three.
- READ MORE
- CAF Champions League: Raja Casablanca of Morocco stunned, Chiefs celebrate, Enyimba fall
- CR Belouizdad knocks Gor Mahia out of CAF Champions League
- Why Giroud can't just stop scoring goals
- Caf Champions League: CR Belouizdad of Algeria crush Gor Mahia 6-0
- Champions League round of 16 draw: Barcelona v PSG, Atletico v Chelsea
- Liverpool's Jota out for up to two months, Matip injured at Fulham